Furniture is a great way to create a mood in a room. If you want to make a statement or update a room, changing furniture is an easy way to do it. Knowing what is trending can help you find furniture that you love and make your home look up-to-date. Here are some new trends in modern furniture in Seattle, WA.
- Custom made furniture. If you really want to make a statement in a room, get some custom made furniture. A custom chair or accent table can be a conversation piece and can express your personality in a way that traditional furniture can’t.
- Metallic Leather. Leather has always been a popular furniture material, but leather in metallic finishes is currently trending. Pair traditional leather furniture with some metallic accent pieces.
- Environmentally conscious furniture. Natural woods harvested sustainably are increasingly being used in designer furniture.
- Hair on hide. If you are uncomfortable using real animal skin in your furniture pieces, synthetic materials are also trending that look like real animal hide.
The living room is one of the most important entertaining areas in the house. At Schoenfeld Interiors, we believe a space needs to be both functional and stylish. Creating a space that works well will depend on the layout of the room, what furniture you choose to put in the room, and what style you are going for. Here are 3 things that you should avoid when designing your living room space.
- Avoid buying furniture and decor without a distinct plan in mind. First, look at the area you have to work with. Unless you are planning major renovation, the shape and size of the room will be unchangeable, so you need to evaluate your space before you begin buying furniture. Take measurements of the room so that you will know how big you want the furniture to be. You might fall in love with a leather sectional, but if it takes up most of your living room, you might want to try and find one a little smaller. Once you know how big your space is and what shape it is, you can decide how many furniture pieces you want and how big they should be.
- Don’t overcrowd the room. Everyone has his or her own taste in style. You might like puffy chairs, sofas, and ottomans, or you might be a modern minimalist type. Either way you can find a way to fit your style in the space. If you tend to like big pieces of furniture, just be sure that you don’t overcrowd your living room. Sure, you want plenty of places for people to sit, but you also want some space for people to navigate around the furniture.
- Don’t ignore practicality just for style. You might love white linen couches, but before you buy a living room set, evaluate your lifestyle and whether or not your choices are going to work for you. If you have pets and young children, maybe the white linen isn’t the most practical choice. White leather or a darker shade might be work better.
Is modern the same as contemporary? Not in the design world. Modern design typically refers to a style popularized in the 1920s to 1950s, sometimes called mid-century modern. Modern furniture is light and airy, with clean, unadorned lines. Natural materials are used in modern furniture, as well as plastics and metals. Colors are neutral, with bolder colors used in moderation. Floors are bare or covered with neutral wool rugs. Everything in the mid-century modern style is designed to make things light, open, and clean. Modern design refers to a fixed time period; it is well-defined and does not change.
Contemporary design, on the other hand, does change. Contemporary design is of the moment, fluid, always changing. Contemporary style borrows from other styles and combines different elements to create a look that’s timely and current. Today, for example, contemporary designs might include large windows, open floor plans, and eco-friendly materials. Twenty years from now, contemporary design will be totally different.
At Schoenfeld Interiors, we can help you find your style, whether it’s modern, contemporary, or somewhere in between. We have contemporary furniture in Seattle and as well as modern interior décor and everything in between. Come in today and find something just right for you.
Are you considering updating and modernizing your Seattle, WA, home? Whether you just bought a fixer-upper or you are tired of the old linoleum and shag in your current home, there has never been a better time to transform your home into your dream home. While there are plenty of ways you can update and modernize, not all of them will provide you with the best bang for your buck. Before you make any changes to your existing home, read this first.
Getting the Most out of Modernizing
The first thing you need to consider before modernizing your home is why you are doing so. If you are trying to sell your home, you are going to need to take a different approach than if you plan on living there for the rest of your life. When you prepare your home to sell, not every update or addition will provide you with a large return on your investment or entice buyers. That being the case, you need to make sure you know what your plans are before you spend a single dime.
Selling Your Home:
If you are planning to sell your home, the first thing you want to focus on is modernizing any parts of your home that cost you money. Water heaters, appliances, insulation, HVAC systems, and windows all contribute to your total monthly bills and costs. Modern appliances, heaters, coolers, windows, and other features are designed to save energy and money. By replacing any (or all) of them, you will modernize your home in the best possible way and entice buyers to spend their money.
If you don’t have an unlimited budget, begin replacing the oldest or most heavily worn parts of your home first. For example, if your HVAC system is more than 15 years old, replacing it might be costly, but you should see every penny of that returned. Likewise, an old fridge can use more energy than you might realize and will definitely save you money and encourage buyers to spend their money on your home.
When it comes to aesthetic touches, make sure you pick modern designs and furniture that actually match your home’s layout. Clean lines and a minimalist approach are popular in most modern homes. However, if you have a 100 year old home, the layout itself isn’t going to lend itself to an angular, modern theme. You can find modern furniture in your favorite Seattle furniture store that will match your home’s layout (along with some suggestions and help from the staff).
If you are staying in your current home, you can (and should) do everything listed above in your home. By replacing appliances and energy-hungry devices, you will cut your bills every month and eventually see all the money you invested returned to you.
Beyond the things listed above, you can get creative with your additions. Modern design elements include unique sinks and showerheads, furniture that is connected to the Internet, and sofas or sectionals that include built-in storage. Modern countertop options like quartz can provide you with a durable surface and a unique look as well. Technology is also changing the way homes are built and used. From remote operated blinds to security systems that adjust your lights while you are away, modernizing is easy, and there are options for any budget.
Want to update the style of your home but don’t know where to start? Do you look at magazines and see beautiful homes but just don’t have the eye for decorating? An interior decorator can help you accomplish whatever you have in mind, and you don’t have to stress about the process because they will do it all for you. There are many businesses that specialize in interior design in Seattle, WA. Interior designers can consult on any project you want done, big or small and no matter the price range or style. They can give you advice on something as simple as paint colors or consult on a job as big as building a new home. Not only do they listen to your ideas, but they can also present unique styles that you may not have known were available to you.
One room in the home that is very popular to have redesigned is the bedroom. Many people do not have a space that is both comfortable and romantic. An interior designer can give you tips on simple ways to decorate and position furniture to set the perfect mood for you. They can also help you find the perfect furniture, whether you want to find modern bedroom furniture in Seattle or you want to stay with a more traditional elegant theme.
Even if you know exactly what you want, hiring an interior designer can guarantee that you get what you want while also tackling such problems as limited space and budget. If you are on a limited budget and have a good idea of what you want, you can arrange to meet with a designer for only a few hours. In these situations, it will be most beneficial for you to have all of your ideas organized in one place so that you can be sure to maximize the time you have together.
If you are building a new home and want the help of an interior designer, it is recommended that you bring one in early on in the process. Your designer can work with the architect and builder to make sure that the big picture is coming together every step of the way. He or she can also keep an eye on the cost of materials to ensure you are getting the best price. When building a home, you want to make sure that you will enjoy it for many years down the road, and an interior designer can help you to plan your space so that it lasts through the different stages of family life.
Some people worry that if they hire an interior designer, they will lose their vision and the designer will impose his or her taste on them. This is definitely not true! Interior designers are trained to have a broad palette when it comes to design choices, meaning they want what you want. They will take the time to get to know you and understand your circumstances so that when it comes time for them to bring ideas to you, they are in line with your lifestyle and price range. Their goal is to help you to design the perfect space for you, and help you love your home for many years to come. For more information and to learn about our interior designers, you can visit https://www.schoenfeldinteriors.com/64408/Interior-Design.html.